Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Changing of the guard...an update on Chicago Streetscaping


Last June when I wrote about the streetscaping and plantings around downtown Chicago, I mentioned that it would be fun to watch these evolve over the summer. Evolve they did. Now with the return of fall's cooler weather and frost imminent, that evolution has dramatically accelerated as crews mysteriously rip out the old and replace with the fall mums, kale, pansies, etc. Somewhat sad that the planter outside of Union Station was switched to mums last week, before I could re-stock my supply of Verbena Bonariensis seeds. Or that the masses of coleus along Willis Tower and on Michigan Ave were replaced before I could put my "grab some cuttings at the last minute before frost" stealth operation into gear.

I've had several trips into the city since June, and on each one have discovered new plantings, new gardens. And on each visit, I have snapped many, many pictures with my phone. All within downtown, all walking distance from Union Station. Thought I'd share some of my favorite spots, and how they've changed since June....

I am especially taken with the series of annual beds along Michigan Ave, just south of the Art Institute. On my first trip they had just been planted. This is them on June 23, August 1, September 9, and today the last day of September. The Castor Beans are stunning. Taller than me, providing strong interest in the center.



Of course a visit to those beds requires a quick hello to the lions outside of the Art Institute and the grand plantings they watch over. In their summer glory and today in the new fall look.



The Willis Tower outside patio used one of my favorite garden combos - yellow and blue. Here it is as it was last week with the blue Salvia and yellow Cannas sharing the stage with the chartreuse Ipomoea batatas or sweet potato vine, and today in fall colors, salvias gone replaced by mums and kale:



An early morning walk on my trip the 1st week of September had me stumble upon this grand example of an ornamental kitchen garden.



And of course, that wonderful dark leaved, yellow flowered Dahlia that enchanted me back in June, continues to pull at my heart. So much so, that during the Rock-n-Roll Chicago half marathon, I paused for a second to grab a picture when I realized I was running on Michigan Avenue right next to the plantings.



Finally a single planting, outside a business, a perfect example of a balanced fall grouping.....


There's so many more...but another time, another post.

2 comments:

  1. You've done a great job of documenting the plantings. Wanted to do something similar myself but didn't spend much time DT this year. Oh well, next year, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it's been fun. I love walking around downtown becasue of the incredible variety f plantings- not to mention some pretty cool combos. Looking at my pictures, there still seems to be another post worth of potential.

    I wonder if non-gardeners are as aware...or just sense that it's a pleasant walk, but don't really realize how much this adds to the space.

    ReplyDelete